Ogbourne C of E Primary School takes the emotional health and wellbeing of every child seriously. We believe that the school can help pupils build resilience and support them to be mentally healthy.
My Happy Mind Module Descriptions
• Meet Your Brain: Understanding how your brain works and how to ensure we look after it so that we can manage our emotions and be at
our best. Growth mindset is a key part of this too.
• Celebrate: Understanding your unique character strengths and learning to celebrate them. This is a fantastic module for building self-esteem.
• Appreciate: Understanding why gratitude matters and how you can develop gratitude as a habit. Gratitude is key to well-being and resilience and we’re all about making it a habit!
• Relate: Understanding why positive relationships matter and how to build them. We’re focussed on the building blocks of good relationships and friendships.
• Engage: Understanding how to set meaningful goals that matter and how to keep resilient in times of challenge. This module is all about building self-esteem and resilience too.
ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant)
Sometimes, children and young people in schools may be facing life challenges that detract from their ability to engage fully with learning. Some will require greater support to increase their emotional literacy than others. ELSA is an initiative developed and supported by educational psychologists to support children with this. It recognises that children learn better and are happier in school if their emotional needs are also addressed.
We are lucky enough to have a qualified Emotional Literacy Support Assistant at Ogbourne. Mrs Stannard has been trained by the Educational Psychology team to plan and deliver programmes of support to pupils who are experiencing temporary or longer term additional emotional needs. The majority of ELSA work is delivered on an individual basis, but occasionally, some group work is more appropriate, especially in the areas of social and friendship skills.
There are many emotional areas that ELSA can help with, including:
- Social Skills
- Social Situations
- Therapeutic Stories
- Anger Management
- Real-life problem-solving skills